Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Fall Rice Krispie Treats


 I decided to make some fun rice krispie treats for the fall festival at Ty's daycare! They had a fall festival celebration instead of a Halloween party this year, but I still wanted to do something cute and festive! I started out with some pumpkin rice krispie treats!

Ingredients:
  • Rice Krispies cereal
  • 1 Bag of Marshmallows
  • Butter
  • Red & yellow food coloring
  • Tootsie rolls
  • Green frosting for leaves 
     
    Its super easy! you literally just follow the recipe on the back of the cereal box! When the marshmallows are nicely melted, mix in the red and yellow food coloring until you get your desired orange color. Make sure you add the food coloring BEFORE the cereal! Failure to do so will result in chaos. 
    Once the cereal is nicely mixed into the marshmallows, its time to roll the pumpkins into balls! I definitely recommend spraying your hands with Pam cooking spray before handling and during the rolling of the pumpkins to avoid getting marshmallow and cereal all stuck to your hands! 
    After the marshmallows are rolled, stick a tootsie roll on top for the stem, make sure you do this while they are still warm, once they harden the tootsie roll will not stick.
    Last, take a tube of green frosting and add a vine to each pumpkin.
    Ta da!

    Once I finished the pumpkins I got excited and decided to try some different fall shapes, so I created some corn cobs also.
    For the corn cobs, I used only yellow food coloring and then I simply molded the rice krispies into an oval-corn-like shape, and used the tube of green frosting to make the husk.
    Easy enough.

     Lastly, I kind of over estimated my rice krispie making abilities when I decided to try the candy corn rice krispie treats that I saw on (http://www.glorioustreats.com/) The colors were easier said than done and came out a mess! I ended up just using food coloring to dye vanilla frosting and frosted them the colors they were supposed to be!
    I would definitely classify this one as a "Pinterest fail"

    good luck and happy fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment