Sunday, November 29, 2015

DIY Christmas Stocking Holder

I had made a stocking holder when we were living in our apartment, because we did not have a fireplace. now, in our new home, we do have a fireplace, however there is no mantel. Last year, I used the old holder I had made, but when I hung it up this year, it was just too small. The fireplace is large, and needed a larger holder!
 I purchased this pallet-looking piece of wood at hobby lobby. I also found teal blue "stain" which intrigued me, so I decided to stain the pallet blue. I used a rag to apply the stain and let it dry for a few hours.
 I then applied a second coat, and I felt that was enough stain. I let it dry overnight.
 The next afternoon, I took it inside and used some paint markers that I had also found at Hobby Lobby to write on it.
I used the large white paint marker to write the phrase: "the stockings were hung by the chimney with care" and I used the gold marker to outline it, and the red to outline "stockings"
I had Tyler pick out some fun knobs from Hobby Lobby for everyone, each is different, then my husband drilled the holes in the wood, cut the bolts on the knobs to shorten them, and it was ready to be hung!

Reflecting, I think I rushed too much on the writing, so I may re-write it next year. And the knobs are a little close together, and the stockings overlap.


This was a quick, cute, inexpensive project to hang our stockings!


No comments:

Post a Comment